Why is a Web Analytics Audit Important?
We often start our analytics engagements with an audit of the client’s data collection tools. A web analytics audit can give our team a quick pulse on the accuracy of your data.
This provides multiple values:
- To confirm that collected data is accurate. Just like you wouldn’t build a house on a shakey foundation, it is difficult to generate good insight from incorrect (or missing) data.
- To maximize the power and flexibility of your tools. We’ll help your team go beyond the “out-of-the-box implementation” to get the most out of your investment.
- To assure the collected data and reports are uniquely aligned to your business goals.
- To make the data actionable. We’ll check that the data is collected in a usable (human-friendly) format for your team to quickly interpret and drive well-informed decisions.
- To gain trust in your data. Quite often we see web analytics data go unused for a number of reasons. Perhaps the original person(s) who implemented the solution have left the company…maybe the data is known to be inaccurate…or it may be that the solution is just not widely used in the organization. Either way, an audit and cleanup is a great way to re-invigorate the team for a fraction of the cost of migrating to a new tool.
How the Web Analytics Audit Works
A typical web analytics audit kicks off with a 1-2 hour discovery session. This is helpful for us to truly understand your business goals and any known challenges with your existing data platform. Depending on the complexity of your site the audit will require 2-3 weeks to complete. During that time our audit team will check you’re digital analytics implementation against a comprehensive checklist.
Our team uses a combination of tools (crawlers) and manual review to validate implementation. You can expect to receive a detailed document summary with pass/fail items as well as recommended fixes and enhancements.
After the engagement our team can be available to validate and provide support for any updates to the implementation. Our goal is for your team to have a rock solid data collection platform when we’re through.
The Sproutward Web Analytics Audit Checklist
Each audit is customized based on the client and nuances within their digital analytics platform. However, we follow a similar checklist featuring the items below.
- Content Grouping and Page Names
- Key Goal and Event Tracking
- Microconversion Tracking (Social Shares, Downloads, Email Signups, Video Plays, etc.)
- Ecommerce Tracking (Product Data, Add to Cart, Purchase)
- Validate Tracking Code is Included on All Pages
- Error Page Measurement (404 and Application Errors)
- Inline Errors
- Internal Campaigns (Banners and Marketing Assets)
- External Marketing Campaigns and Channels
- Cross-domain Tracking
- Onsite Search
- Filtering and Navigation
- Supplemental Data Variables (eVars, Custom Variable, and Data Extensions)
- Report and Funnel Setup
Supported Web Analytics Tools
We have decades of combined expertise implementing, migrating, and customizing web analytics solutions across a variety of verticals. This includes deep expertise with the most popular enterprise tools: Adobe Analytics (Omniture Sitecatalyst), IBM Digital Analytics (Coremetrics), Google Analytics, and Webtrends. We have also worked with many up-and-coming mobile and app measurement solutions such as MixPanel, Localytics, Amplitude, and KissMetrics.